Saturday, March 10, 2007

They Can't Be Trusted

Twice now I've used a pedometer to track my walking when Google's pedometer would have been too difficult. The first time was when we went to Magic Mountain. It read 7.8 miles. Really? Okay, but it didn't seem that far. Must have been 'cause I was having such a great time I didn't realize my feet should have been tired. Today I took a group of girls to the garment district. I wore the pedometer again. In fact I wore 2. One on each hip. After walking around the area for a bit we headed home. One pedometer read over three miles (doubtful), the other read .05 miles. Okay, now I KNOW that's wrong. These are even ones that you enter your stride length & weight & stuff. Still obvisously totally inaccurate. ANYHOOO, I did some more shopping & stuff today so I kept the higher reading one on (hey, I'm no fool). All in all it says I walked 6.8 miles. Again, doubtful. I'm going to be generous to my self though & only round down to 6 miles for the day (to make up for all the little bit's here & there that I do during the day just as part of life but don't calculate into my 2007 goal). This gets my weekly total to 15 miles. I finished February on target & March is starting out great!

2 comments:

Kat said...

Good for you for keeping to your goal. FYI-When you put a pedometer on walk 100 steps, yes count them, and check to see what the pedometer says. If it is within 4 or 5 steps then that is close enough. If it is way off you should be able to adjust the sensitivity on it. Most pedo's have a place to adjust on it. Also, be aware that most pedo's will continue to count while you are in the car or on a ride. They count off of hip movement and they will count steps if you stand there and just shake the darn thing. It can't tel the difference. Hope that helps.
Love ya!

Flame Lilly said...

Good for you Cate!! I've started walking at night too...I think it's only 3 miles, but I should get one of those things! See you Saturday!!