Monday, January 12, 2009

Childhood Dream Come True


It's funny when a childhood dream comes true and in what form. Funny enough for me this week it's in the form of paddock boots. Crazy, I know. But I have wanted a pair since grade school. When I was riding every weekend I had a rubber version of dress English riding boots. A gorgeous boot that leaves much to be desired when in the form of rubber. But they were a practical, inexpensive, functional solution to needing riding boots. When I was riding everyday after school I eventually saved up & got a cheap pair of leather ones that weren't nearly as gorgeous as the ones linked earlier in this paragraph. My dream was a pair of Effingham Field Boots. In my mind, the most gorgeous riding boot a girl could ever want. And one Christmas it finally happened. I got my Effinghams. Of course they were back ordered and didn't arrive for a couple months and were therefore referred to as my F-ing hams by the entire family. But they eventually showed up and they were GORGEOUS. I loved my boots. I wore them to numerous horse shows just knowing they looked awesome. I mean really, anyone wearing such a rad pair of boots had to be taken seriously as an equestrian (did I mention I was in junior high? that explains alot of this whole thing).

But if I what I wanted so bad were field boots how do paddock boots fulfil a dream? You see, those were a luxury (this is not necessarily the case just how it was in my junior high aged brain saw it). One didn't ride in paddock boots, duh. That's what tall boots were for. When one was finished riding but still mucking about the stables, one wore their paddock boots not last year's sneakers from p.e. like I did. Paddock boots were what rich, truly devoted riders had. Wow, to be like them...

I JUST ORDERED A PAIR OF PADDOCK BOOTS!!!!! They should arrive by Thursday. Here's the funny part. I ordered them because they're WAY cheaper than tall boots. Life cracks me up sometimes :-)

Here's the part that is the real story: One of my sister's coworkers needs help taking care of her sister's horse (that lives at the bottom of my hill). You mean you want me to ride & play with your gorgeous 17.2 hand bay Thoroughbred and I don't have to pay you? OKAY!

I'm so excited. Literally I'll be back in the saddle. I met the beauty boy after church on Sunday. My first ride is Thursday night. Not sure that I won't cry with joy.

4 comments:

Moe said...

How exciting! I found someone through Craigs list last year that needed help riding their horse becasue of their busy schedual. It was a dream come true!

I have to warn you: Be prepared to hurt like heck the next day! I couldn't believe how sore I was! You definatly use diffrent muscles to ride than you do in everyday life.

I hope you enjoy your riding time! Get some in for me you lucky girl!

Melanie said...

So exciting!

Flame Lilly said...

ENJOY! I'm so jealous...maybe we can have a Sew What field trip outing sometime!!! haha!!

Katie said...

so excited for you, Cate! Can't wait to see you in the saddle... when can we go on our first trail ride together??????