Sunday, August 06, 2006

Less Computer, More Imagination Please

Kaisara & I finally got around to seeing "Pirates" yesterday. It was entertaining. I liked it. I liked the first one better. That's pretty typical for sequels. I'm getting REALLY tired of the over use of CGI in films now-a-days. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you have to squeeze as much of it into a film as possible. I get that the big, stinky, scary, sea monster is a big, stinky, scary, sea monster. I don't need 2 separate 10 minute scenes of a big, stinky, scary, sea monster to get it. I'm smarter than that & I've got a GREAT imagination. I could have gotten the outcome of Captain Jack Sparrow's last scene if they had cut that scene 20 sooner. That way I'd be saved from watching the horrible use of a green screen that looked totally fake. Pirates is not the only film that's guilty of this for me. There's plenty out there.

I'm finding that the overuse of CGI takes away from a film's magical ability to take me away to a far off place when that's what they're trying to do with it. I don't hate CGI entirely, just don't base every moment of every action or panoramic sequence on it. Frankly, I believe it takes less skill & imagination to spit it out of a computer than to find a way to pull something off in our basis of reality and the laws of physics & make it looks like it's not.

Annnnyhoo...I liked the story. Coulda done less of the slimy, barnacle clad crew of Davy Jones but liked Davy Jones himself (he's grown an interesting beard since leaving The Monkeys).

Kaisara's already guessed the end of the third film & I thinks it's totally possible. Disappointing, but definitely possible.

2 comments:

Cat said...

As "hokey" as the "original" Star Wars were, at least when the ships we shown they looked real- because they were. Yes, they were models, but they looked REAL. I agree CGI is fun but when it takes the place of "real" too much, you feel like you're watching a cartoon. Not to mention that after a while you do lose the creative aspect of the craft if there is no "hands on" component. The "original" Yoda was way cooler that CGI Yoda- fight scene or not! Just my 2 cents..

Coco said...

totally agree. I think I would have liked the sequal a lot better had they cut out about an hours worth of overkill CGI scenes. but, eh, the crowd paid so they're probably going to keep on doing it