Sunday, October 08, 2006

I Gotta Cracked Butt

A few weeks ago I picked up a pair of rollerblades & wrist braces at a garage sale for $10. What I find! I took them for a little spin in my parking lot that day & was almost taken out by the speed bump so I've been conquering my fear of them just being in my closet for 2 weeks. Today was the day to beat those mocking chunks of plastic. I'll show them!

Crista & I went out this afternoon. I let her know that I haven't gone out on them yet because I didn't want to be by myself when I fell & wouldn't be able to call the paramedics :-). Why is skating so hard when you're old but such a breeze when you're little. And more importantly why does it hurt so bad when you fall when you're old but no big thing when you're a youngin'? Man! Here's the route we took because I foolishly thought it'd be flat. You know, since it's my first time out with the death wheels strapped to my feet. Over 3 miles! Go us!

I'm pleased that I met my top two goals for my little venture. #1 no broken bones (i think) #2 no broken skin. Our route proved to be very hilly & I very much hit the pavement on the first hill. My poor butt. I kept going with some bruised flesh & ego. I knew I was going to fall but want to do this bad enough to get past the falling stage. It's more of a work-out than I realized as well. Man, I was huffing & puffing.

It was lovely day for my first venture with a beautiful breeze to cool us off periodically. I'm so glad Crista was there with/for me. She's great and was very patient. I told her I knew she was a true friend because I knew I'd be looking like a fool & invited her anyway. She was very encouraging. We've committed to walking after work on Tuesday (my cheeks won't be ready for the skates by then) & I can't wait. I hardly ever fall just walking (be quiet Kaisara!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know I laughed after reading this, not because you fell, but because you are funny.

Dani said...

Now that you have wheels you will be unstoppable! (Not that you were very stoppable before.) I wish I could see the James and the Giant Peach show. I loved that book as a kid. Remember to show and tell pictures!

Coco said...

Oh Cate, I'm so sorry :( It's flat, steady land for us from now on (or bikes!) I hope you're feeling better soon!!