Monday, October 30, 2006

Words Cannot Express

Dana's my friend. As many of you know, for years now she's been "my Dana". That's who she is to me. I temporarily revoked the title once just to get her goat & it worked so she became mine again. She has gracefully moved roles in my life from one of my core group girls during my stint in youth ministry to now a priceless friend. She's also a total sneak. Here's the story:

I make baubles. Technically they're called woven dragon boats. That's a long name so I shortened it to bauble since that's what they are. When at a Diedrich show with Kaisara & the band I make baubles. It doesn't take alot of mental capacity & it keeps me from buying cookies. Dana has always been intrigued by the bauble. Last year I gave her one made of varigated pink thread. You'da thought I'd given her $50 in cold hard cash. But no, just a bauble. I continued making them. It's a good mobile project. You all know I'm never doing nothing.
This summer I mentioned to a few people (Dana included) that I was interested in making a few baubles to try to sell to a local boutique or two. Too scary. Didn't happen. They could've turned me down you know so it's better no to have tried very hard. ANYWAY...Dana, ever the encourager, periodically asked me how that venture was going. Yesterday she calls me asking if I had any baubles made because she had a coworker interested in maybe buying some & she wanted to show my product. Sure. "Can I pick them up now?" "Okay." Later that night she calls & asks if I could come over for 10 minutes to help her with a costume she's making. "Can you bring it here since all my stuff's here?" "No" "O.k., let me finish putting dinner in the oven & I'll be right over"

Here's what I came to her house to find (only displayed much prettier)

That's right folks! I've now got a tree to display my baubles on. She also designed & had made a rubber stamp with my logo on it, printed cards for bauble customers & printed cards for clients of the clothing variety. Wow. I didn't cry just then. I think I was too suprised. I did however weep myself to sleep thinking about how much she put into this & how I could never express it's meaning to me. I'm truley blessed.

So all of this sealed the deal of a prospect I was given last week. A coworker is selling some items in a craft fair & invitied me to participate. I thought about it but really what was keeping me from jumping right in was how I would display my baubles. Well Dana solved that for me didn't she? So I'm selling my wares at craft fair this Saturday the 4th in Yorba Linda & also on Sunday, December 3rd in Orange. I better get winding & know that I'm loved not because of the things I make but because who I am to others. Makes me tear up again just thinking about it.

6 comments:

melissa said...

Wow, I want to cry just reading that. You are blessed, and those of us who know and love you are blessed too!

Dana is super sweet to do that for you. The tree and cards look awesome. Have fun at the craft fair. Kick some bauble a**!

Coco said...

That is AWESOME!!! What a great display! I am so there Saturday the 4th and / or Sunday December 3rd!!

Cat said...

A for the day for Dana! I'm excited for you my friend! Go you!

Anonymous said...

I can't make it this weekend as I will be in Victorville. Please remind me when the second one is coming up!

Anonymous said...

Once again, Cate, you are far too generous. (I fully expect a nice dinner on you with all that bauble money you'll shortly be coming into.)

Anonymous said...

i'm so blogly inept...the comment above is from me, Dana.