Thursday, February 08, 2007

How Does That Always Happen?

Theatre is magical. Many people know that, but us costumers, we know it good. There's magic within them there walls. I was given the responsibility of getting SCR's production of The Prince & the Pauper up. I asked who else was working on it & I was informed that I had a mostly full-time stitcher & a half-time first hand. Oh. Okay. Well then. It's me then. Insert FREAK OUT here. Oh yeah, you've got two weeks. Insert SHEER PANIC mixed with FREAK OUT here.

I knew most of the costumes were going to be pulled from our stock or rented but still. I've got to build a velveteen boned bodice dress complete with heinous cartridge pleats and two velveteen, fur and brocade or silk King Henry gowns (similar to the really big red poofy sleeved coat thing in the picture). Oh yeah, and a hat. And King Henry's quick change doublet with built in fat pad. Two weeks. Okay. And all of the pulled/rented costumes that would need to be fit and altered and repaired. Lots of repair. I swear, everything rented was built in 1934. I'm not exaggerating. Those pieces had to be 70 years old. While trying to alter them velvet was exploding.

Add a wicked cold on top of all of this & let's just say I wasn't doing well. I was told today that they didn't notice be freaking out. Good to know. I guess I'm a good faker.

Here's the theatre magic: tomorrow is our first audience. We're pretty much done. Couple things here and there but if we all got hit by the chip truck, the show could go up as is. How does that always happen? There's always too much work & it's impossible to get down & yet it does. Even while freaking out I was telling Kaisara, "funny thing is, the magic of theatre will happen & it will all get done." Sure enough. I'll post pictures when I get them.

1 comment:

Coco said...

Cate, you are the theater magic! My fingers are crossed for a great opening night!