Sunday, February 04, 2007

Came Up Short

You may have noticed my 2007 Mileage Tracker on the left. At the beginning of the year I made a goal to walk 500 miles in 2007. This is a spin off of Geoff's goal to run 1000 miles in 2007. Let's face it, I'm no runner so I figured half of a runner's goal would be good for a walker. So 500 miles it is. I figured if I get in 10 a week that'd give me 20 miles to spare.

I also figured this wouldn't be too hard of a goal to achieve since Dana & I have been walking before work a few times a week ever since the time change in October (do I even need to tell you how freezing & dark it is at 6am in December?). When we walk I get in 2.9 miles. We had been going Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays so without even trying that'd be 8.7 miles a week.

With January being 5 weeks long (I'm tracking Sunday through Saturday as a week not actual dates of the month) I should have had 50 miles in. I don't. I'm 7.9 miles short. For most of January, Dana and or I have been sick so we figured it's best not to make things worse & let our bodies sleep in the nice warms beds we've been blessed with. She started it with the coodies and I actually got up & walked without her for about a week. Then the toastyness of the blankies conquered me since I didn't have anyone counting on me to be out there tired & freezing.

I'm hoping I can make up for my shortage in February and get in 50 miles even though it's only 4 weeks long. On the bright side if I cut into my 20 spare miles, I'm not short. I've still got 12.1. Ouch. That's not much to hold me off for 47 more weeks.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

Way to go Cate, that's a very achievable yet challenging goal. You'll note that I am also short on my January mileage, don't worry there's a whole year (and more importantly a whole summer) ahead!

Dani said...

One step at a time...you rock!