Sunday, November 18, 2007

"Now there's somethin' you don't see every day"

Nothin' brings a group a friends closer than a marshmallow war. I know. I live to tell the tale.

Last night was The 2nd Annual Food On A Stick Night to celebrate Daryl's 31st Annual Birthday. In a word...Delicious. We had much the same fair as last year. Fruit skewers for as an appetizer & added this year to the course was 'lil smokies on toothpicks (as requested/demanded by Kaisara). Our main course this year was the same. Grilled build-your-own kabobs with shrimp, tri tip, chicken & all the veggies one would need. For dessert was the gooey goodness know as fondue. Daryl requested a caramel fondue so I nixed last year's marshmallow cream recipe & found a caramel one online. Because of the change in fondue I added crisp granny smith apples & rice krispy treats to the dipping menu along with the typical strawberries, bananas, pound cake, oreos, marshmallows...aaaahhh the marshmallows.

After we were finished gorging ourselves and we couldn't find our Apples-to-Apples game, the night took an ugly turn. Dana innocently tossed a mallow at Daryl who innocently volleyed it back to her. This went on for a time or two & then somehow (I have to remain neutral here) there was a wrestling match for the mallow between Katie & Dana on my couch. Before too long there was all out war & mayhem in my living room, dining room, kitchen, entry way, & bathroom. It was awesome! 7 grown adults having a full on marshmallow war. Poor Melanie was sleeping on the floor & was forced to sleep in self imposed exile on the floor of my bedroom.

Our war came to a slow end as eventually all of our ammo got gooey (at which point each mallow was retired) or Zelda snatched them up before we could pick them up to fire them off again. They're the perfect thing to pelt at a loved one. When you get a good, square hit it makes an awesome sound to let you know you hit your target but it doesn't hurt the target (even when it's in the face after being thrown HARD by an avid softball player).

We followed the war with a story telling game (outside on the patio since we were all sweaty). Someone starts with 1 word & then each person around the circle adds only one word to make a sentence & eventually a little story is born. I'll post our literature soon. It was crazy. Of course it was 1am & we were on a sugar high, but at the time our stories seemed hilarious.

We're all looking forward to the tradition of Food On A Stick Night continuing next year. Perhaps a new little tradition was born too!

Now I'll close with a "Ghostbusters" quote that I'm sure came to your mind.

Dr. Peter Venkman: What is it?
Dr Ray Stantz: It CAN'T be!
Dr. Peter Venkman: What did you DO, Ray?
Winston Zeddemore: Oh, shit!
Dr Ray Stantz: [somberly] It's the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Well, there's something you don't see every day.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I had so much fun at your party... :) I'm sorry I fell asleep, but I had to get early the next morning and in a stroke of not thinking I road to the party with Ryan.

Mwa!

Cat said...

Glorious! You guys rock! Happy birthday and marshmallows?!?!? AWESOME!!!