Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Well that was fun

I can finally blog about this. It's been chewing at me since summer!

Cat & I decided to surprise our little far-away friend, Dani, for her 30th birthday. She's in grad-school as a writer in Washington. She misses us. We miss her. We thought we'd rectify the situation & bought plane tix after clearing it with her folks.

Here's the nitty-gritty of the weekend:

We arrived just before noon on Friday. The flight was nasty. We had the worst turbulance that anyone one the plane (including the flight crew) had ever experienced. The flight attendant & 2 others puked. That's how bad it was. The flight attendant people!! Anyway after getting off of the plane we had on our bright pink wigs (apparently now a birthday tradition for us) & survived the odd looks of the security. Dani was expecting one pink wig but not two (her mom had to leak that Cat was showing up but I was still a surprise). After hugs & smiles & meeting mom, Neva & Dad, Roy we stopped by a new little bakery/coffee house for a little lunch. Delicious. We headed to their house, got settled, played a game of "Scene It" & then headed out to dinner & then to a play. We saw "Souvenirs". A great little play. The costumes, however, left much more than a lot to be desired. At one point Cat & I actually cringed back in our seats, making the stinky diaper face before looking at each other in disbelief. Wow! But like I said. I great play. I'd see it again.

We woke up Saturday to fresh baked apples with craisins & cinnamon for breakfast. After leisurely getting ready we headed out into the frigidness that is known as Liberty Lake, Washington (have I mentioned it was rarely about 32 degrees the whole time we were there?) We drove by the beautiful lake, through beautiful country & headed to downtown Coeur de Laine, Idaho. Yep, crossed the state line. We shopped & lunched in the cute little downtown area after seeing the lake & stopping to take some photos. Got a couple stocking stuffers there so the Christmas shopping has officially begun. We ended the day with Dani's birthday extravaganza by heading out to some of her favorite haunts & she showed us off to her local friends. Tea at the coffee house, pizza at the Catacombs, dessert at Ella's with a side of jazz, a game of Sorry & 5 games of pool at the bar. Dani & her friend Heather won 4 games but Cat & I finally snatched a victory on the 5th game.

Dani made us crepes for breakfast on Sunday. We then headed to downtown Spokane to checkout a new store chalk full of vintage jewelry & clothes. We then headed to the historic Davenport & checked out the candy shoppe, ballrooms, Christmas tree raffles & had a little bite in the peacock room. I can't even wrap my head around a life style that would include such a place. After a stop at the neat-o book store & game shop we headed home for dinner.

We slept in on Monday, had homemade pecan pie for breakfast & were treated to hot stone massages by our dear little masseuse, Dani before heading to the airport. Pie for breakfast, the company of great friends & a free massage. Could it get better? I think not!

Thank you my friends for a great weekend. Dani, we miss you already. Cat, you're amazing. I love you both.

4 comments:

melissa said...

Wow. That sounds like an awesome trip! Glad you could surprised Dani.

Dani said...

Dani's glad they surprised Dani, too! Melissa and others who get Kate always...remember how lucky you are! Thank you so much for being the kind of friend who flys up into frigid weather for a little gal like me.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Dani. We miss you, too.
Jan & Bill

Kat said...

Super neat!!!! I have a tear in my eye. I am so glad you got to surprise her. You gals are special friends!!