Sunday, December 02, 2007

Would You Buy It?

Since the day I started sewing (or at least sewing well) I've heard it over & over again. "You should make that & sell them!" "That" has been a countless number of things. From maternity clothes to wet suit repair to seat covers & practically everything in between. I've heard it again and again. I some times get the nerve to ask back, "if I did, would you buy it?" Without exception I get a look of surprise followed by a look of confession because they & I both know their answer is "no". It's not no because they don't like it. It's no because that's not what they choose to spend their discretionary income on. They assume there are those out there that do. How to find "those" people. They've been allusive. I finally got off my duff and started making "that" to sell. Everyone oohs & aahs but to no avail. At the craft show I recently was a part of, I had a women pick up one of my purses and say that they were the best purses ever! So cute! So unique! So great! She then set it down and walked away. Of course that was also the same lady that said (and I quote) "it's the handles that make these". I'm sure she didn't intend on sounding hurtful. But it was. Just buy it! Don't tell me how great it is with excitement in your voice & then walk away!

This post is not intended to guilt my loved ones into buys any of my wares. In fact, I'd be ashamed of myself if you did after reading this. I'm just voicing my frustration I guess. I LOVE to make things. I make things while I'm making other things. I'm blessed to have a hobby that pays for itself. Not many can boast of that. I'm just tired of hearing how "they" would love my stuff and how "they" would hand over a bit of their discretionary income in exchange for "that". I'm thinking I'll slow production down & just wait for the perfect home for my "that" to come around & I'll just give it to them. Then I'll get hollered at by those that said "You should make that & sell them!" in the first place. I guess I'll just have to lovingly tell them to "Just shut-up & take it"

1 comment:

Cat said...

I'm shutting up now! ;)