Thursday, June 12, 2008

Every Time, Really?

It frustrates me to no end that EVERY time (I don't even think I'm exaggerating much here) that there's a religious figure in a movie, play, or other work of fiction, it turns out that they're villainous, corrupt and/or sick & twisted. I'm not here to say that everyone in the church is without fault. (Oh please, don't get me started on that one! I'd be on the top of the list). I'd just like religious figures in fiction to not be the go-to when looking for something seedy. Priest does NOT equal child molester. Southern Baptist Minister does NOT equal wife beater. Rabbi doe NOT be sneaky. Heck! For that matter, a televangelist does NOT equal money grubber.

I know leaders in the church have caused pain. Hasn't everyone? I know that it's a relatively new thing for it to be socially accepted to even write fiction with such a statement. But please. Every time I watch a movie & there's a churchy type of someone in it, they're what's causing the drama. It bores me. It frustrates me. Frankly, it offends me.

To quote Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

No comments: