Sunday, June 15, 2008

Was Something Supposed To Happen?

I was brave. I was taking one for the team. The team wanted to see The Happening. I was willing (last time that resulted in a freaked out, motion-sick Cate after Cloverfield). I was scared, but willing. As you all know, me no likey suspense/scary. However, I did like Sixth Sense & Signs albeit at home with ALL of the lights on & laundry to deal with when i needed a break. But I was strong & went to see M. Night Shyamalan's latest. I knew that something was wrong for sure when half way through I realize I wasn't scared. I hadn't been scared the whole time. I wasn't even all balled-up inside wondering if it all was gonna turn out okay. What's wrong with me? Oh wait. It's not me. It's the lame movie. I'm all for an action movie. I'm all for a movie that is, as my sis' in law says, "too much story". But this one didn't have either. Nothing really ever happened. No action. No suspense. No scary. No story. No acting. Sigh.... No acting. Oh well. Guess I'll get my Kung Fu Panda on next weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog (found it through Emma Grace's site) and thought you might be interested in this clip....it's a wedding "speech" by a bunch of very talented (and loving) theater friends!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1287124/best_wedding_toast_ever_amys_song/

Daryl Smith said...

I'm all over Kung Fu Panda.

I was with Cate & the gang at The Happening. I'm not one to tell people what to do, but.......

DON'T SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!

It's not worth your money! I think it would probably rank amongst the worst in history in every category: story, acting, pace, tone, concept, direction, etc...

The only enjoyable part was the first 10 minutes or so when everyone was dying, but that was when I still had hope that there would be a point!!

I was in M Night's corner when it came to Lady In The Water. I'm one of the few who enjoyed that one. But I can't stand behind The Happening.

Bad Shyamalan. Bad!

Katie said...

Whatever Daryl! I happen to remember feeling strongly urged to tell everyone in line waiting to go into see "The CRAPpening" NOT TO GO IN!!!! and you clearly discouraged my efforts! I was allll ready to march up to the front of the line and say "For the love of all that is good and holy... don't see this movie!" I don't remember you providing any back up in that department. So I bite my thumb at your opening statement in the previous comment. So there! Ha!

Seriously folks... the movie was one great big stinker.

Daryl Smith said...

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

Kat said...

Thanks for the warning! I hear it loud and clear. I was pretty much thinking it was going to go South!

M. Night lost me as a viewer after The Village. Bah!!

My hope for now is Kung Fu Panda. I keep hearing how funny it is. Awesome, just my speed.

Jody and I just saw Iron Man last week and I LOVED IT. Of course, I am a total sucker for Robert, he is not hard on the eyes.