Monday, September 19, 2005

Free Ride


Yesterday was the day my free tickets to Disneyland from work had to be used. Last year I took my niece Kayla with her sister's, understanding she'd go with me this year. Tiana was very patient & waited out the whole year with only asking me about it twice. We had a great time. She suprised me. She's almost eight & was willing to go on all the "grown up" rides. She conquered Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, The Materhorn, & even Space Mountain. Of course we rode, the little ones too. I was intrigued that the reason she wanted to go on Small World was because she liked all of the colors.

My first year of free Disney tickets from Pageant Kaisara & I went. We hadn't been in a really long time so sure...we'll go. We had a fun time but nothing too exciting. I mean, come on, it's only Disneyland. The next year, I didn't even use my free tix. The following year (last year) I had the idea of going with a kid. I learned that THAT'S how to enjoy Disneyland as an adult. Take a child. They are in wonder of it all. Yesterday Tiana had to stop & look at all of the really cool window displays down Main Street. "They're so cool Auntie Cate!! Look at this one!!! It's Princess Jasmine!!!" Seeing it all through their eyes is much more fullfilling than walking through it not appreciating it for what it is. Fake. I tended to look at Disneyland in a bad light because it's this whole fake world set up in the real one. Kayla & Tiana look at it in a light of wonder & awe because it's this whole fake world set up in the real one. It was nice to look at it all through those glasses yesterday.

When picking up Tiana yesterday, my nephew Iese told me that he's going with me next year. As he'll only be 5 1/2 by then, that'll be a whole differnt experience. Glad I was albe to go on Space Mountain this time around. I LOVE that ride!!

2 comments:

Cate said...

Thanks Jen. I love & respect you too. I'm glad we're family as well as friends!

Coco said...

That sounds like so much fun Cate! I love reading about what you are doing, you are such an inspiring and genuine person!