Monday, November 27, 2006

The Most Beautiful Thing I've Ever Made

So here it is. The dress that almost didn't get built. It's for SCR's "A Christmas Carol". The actress plays Uncle Scrooge's Niece In-law. The actress that had played "Sally" for 15 years didn't return this year & since there's no way to have made her size 14 gown fit the new 5'0" actress, I got to make a new one. That's write people! No pattern, no instructions, nothing but a rendering & the old gown. I started with a blank piece of paper & armed with my Hunnisett book I ventured out into the world of a cutter.

Here's the back view. The gown is made of embroidered silk, with silk organza oversleeves. I made silk piping for each of the seams in the bodice & made her hoop petticoat too!

The designer opted out of the butt bow (which thrilled me) & wanted what I soon named a "butt corsage". But I didn't want stupid looking rosettes that I already knew how to make (although very poorly) so I taught myself to make ribbon roses only used the silk fabric rather than ribbon.


Those are hand beaded sleeves caps, thank you very much!

Needless to say I'm tremendously proud of this gown. Mostly I'm proud of the patterning I had to accomplish & that even my mock fit great. Making the finished gown was just the icing on the cake.

Thanks for letting me brag. I LOVE my job!

9 comments:

melissa said...

That dress is all shades of gorgeous!! How long did it take to do? I simply adore it.

You have a great job, and you do it very well. Bravo!

Melanie said...

OH MY GOSH, that's BEAUTIFUL! You are a talented Lady Cate Esera

Flame Lilly said...

Ok...so, it's pretty much the most beautiful thing ANYONE has EVER made!!!! ( excluding some of my mom's creations of course!!!!!)
CATE!!! oh my word, that is sooo gorgoues! So, can you make me one????? haha!

Cat said...

Once again ladies and gentelman....

THE AMAZING CATHERINE!!!


A for the day my friend- you are a true artist- beuatiful work- I'm so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

I am in awe...I have never seen something so beautiful. You are awesome.

Kat said...

I think that is quite possibly the most beautiful dress that I have ever seen!!!!! Amazing work, my friend. My hat is off to you!!!!

Coco said...

wow Cate! Just wow! That really is lovely...you rock.

ashley said...

wow! that's absolutely gorgeous!! amazing job cate!!! you are so talented!

Dani said...

When can I order my own but corsage? Wow...seems to be the only word for it...wow!