Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Dead Soldier Resurection

I started this project at least 5 years ago. When I began, I began with the notion that every good quilter has a 20-year quilt. I never heard that said but it just seemed to be the case from quilters I knew at the time. A quilt they started 20 years ago & never got around to finishing. This was going to be mine. I got the block pattern from Janice, Cat's mom. It's a Mariners' Star.

Each star block is 48 pieces so I knew this was going to be my 20 year-quilt. I made great progress to start then put it away not working on it again for a year or so. I pulled it out again only to run out of one of the fabrics so put it away again, not know how to finish. After some great advice from my boss at SCR I pulled this dead soldier out of the closet one last time.

In total, the quilt is 511 pieces. Only after viewing these pictures did I notice two of the blocks should have been switched. Dang! I can't believe I did that. Oh well, there's no going back now. SHOOT! MAN!

Any way, should you wonder who's going to be the recipient of this quilt & knowing that I've never kept a quilt that I've made, I'll close with a quote from Finding Nemo,

Seagulls: Mine. Mine.

1 comment:

melissa said...

Very nice, both the quilt and the quote. :)

It really is beautiful.