Friday, August 05, 2005

Confused by the Chaos


I've recently been made aware of some of the horrible things happening in the country of Zimbabwe by my friend who was born & raised there. Below is her response when I asked her for more details & what Americans could do to help:

Mugs (the president) has been bad for a long time, and now some say he has syphilis and is literally crazy! It's SO sad as the white farmers (we have family who are some) have had this land for generations and it IS a science on how to farm. They know the soil, the weather, the crops, etc., better than anyone and know how and when to farm. The black people use "subsistence" farming which consists of a "slash & burn" principle, which is use the land you have, overwork it to get as much out of it, then move on to the next (instead of alternating and resting the soil). So, now that Mugs has done this (LOTS of farmers were killed during this take over) the country is in greater need of food than ever (although he tells the world they they don't need aid and are just fine. Over 1 million people have died of hunger and or AIDs and it's only getting worse.

There are 2 main tribes in Zim. (hundreds in Africa total) there are the Shona and the Ndebele. Mug is Shona and is the main tribe. Now, over 1.2 million are without homes. Most people believe that it's because these are the urban poor who support his biggest opposition because the last several elections have been rigged, he knows that he's hated and this is punishment to those who voted against him. Hundreds of thousands were turned away from the ballots because they didn't have the "right paperwork" but what you weren't told, is that it was taken away from them so they couldn't vote. PLUS, hundreds of thousands of votes were cast on Mugs side with names of deceased people. So again, it was unfair.

He's killing his own people by starvation and homelessness (it's winter there now and people are freezing to death with no cloths or shelter). Aid that is sent there NEVER arrives at the destination (that was going on when we lived there).

Honestly, I don't know what an American can do, except pray. August 8th is a day of pray and fasting for Zim.

Please join me in interceding to the LORD for Zimbabwe. For the people's protection, nourishment, & above all their souls.

4 comments:

Coco said...

Prayer and fasting for Zimbabwe today. Thanks for the post, please keep us updated.

btw, sorry I didn't get in touch this weekend Cate :( I did, however, dream about you Sunday. Can we still do lunch sometime (or breakfast, dinner, coffee dessert)soon? and I will give Into the Woods to Kaisara today.

Coco said...

Prayer and fasting for Zimbabwe today. Thanks for the post, please keep us updated.

btw, sorry I didn't get in touch this weekend Cate :( I did, however, dream about you Sunday. Can we still do lunch sometime (or breakfast, dinner, coffee dessert)soon? and I will give Into the Woods to Kaisara today.

Melanie said...

I will definitely pray for Zimbabwe, thanks for sharing...

on a slightly less global note, but interesting at least to me, did you know that I recently concluded and discussed with loved ones (at least my mom and Ryan) that I am a shy extrovert... and in reading your blog I have discovered you are as well, interesting yes?

Anonymous said...

mel, shy extrovert! What?! I'm not to sure about that...