Monday, June 12, 2006

I'm Inspired

I have some amazing friends that do some amazing things. The latest amazing friend is Geoff. He amazing feat: completing a marathon (that's 26.2 miles people!). My super-long commute to school was only 25. He RAN further than my dreaded commute! His goal was to finish. He hoped to finish in 4 hours. As Kaisara commented, "4 hours! I don't do anything for 4 hours!"

While talking with Geoff about his experience, Kaisara & I became more & more impressed with our friend. He accomplished his goal. 26.2 miles. All at one time. He even came close to his time goal. He finished in 4 hours & 44 minutes. According to a professional runner I know, that's a great time for a first race.

So in discussing our impressive friend & his 26.2 mile accomplishment I brought up a half marathon is 13.1. Heck! I walked 12 for March of Dimes years ago. What's another 1.1 mile! I'm afraid after 12 miles, another 1.1 is much farther that it sounds, right Geoff? Of course my 12 mile walk was "years ago" & I am now "years ago" older & "years ago" outta shape. But so what, I think I'd like to complete a half marathon.

In preparation for my eventual half-marathon, I'm going to try to organize a team for The Komen Race for the CureƂ®. It's on Sunday, September 24th. It's 5K so it's very do-able for even the most pathetic fitness level known as mine :-) If anyone would like to be invited to join the team I'm trying to organize let me know. If you don't want to run or walk 5K but would like to throw money at my team to support this worthy cause (fighting breast cancer, not me), let me know & I'll let you know how to do that when the time comes.

Hmmm, maybe I should buy some running shoes...

4 comments:

Cyn said...

how much does it cost to join the team?

Geoff said...

You can do it Cate! A few races and a little training and you'll be ready. There's nothing greater than the feeling of crossing the finish line, no matter what the distance.

Flame Lilly said...

Count me in Cate! I would love to walk 5K for such a worthy cause! Go YOU!!!!!!!

Coco said...

May I suggest the Asics Nimbus...they are like clouds under your feet. Noone is a more pathetic runner than me, but I have started to try to run so I can train in Japan. Count me in...hooray!