Monday, September 25, 2006

Consider the Pavement Pounded

We did it! Team Galatians 6:10 completed the Race for the Cure. Thanks to all of the team members & their donors we have raised over $2,300 to fight breast cancer. By the time all of our money is counted (we've got a couple donations on the way) I'm sure we will meet our goal of $2,500. How cool is that!? I'm very pleased with this entire experience. I hoped to get 25 people on the team & I almost did. We ended up with 21. Cool. I hoped to get each of those 25 people to raise $100 making our team total $2,500. Even though we were a couple people short, we'll make the financial goal. That's even cooler!

I was a bit nervous. I've never participated in this race before & I found myself wrangling others into the experience with me. What if it was a bad one? What if they didn't have fun? What if they wished they hadn't done it? I just kept reminding myself that none of us were there because we were looking for fun. We were there to fight a horrific disease. But we had a great time anyway I think everyone said they want to go back next year. Friends of mine from several different circles of my life came together for a cause. They day was sunny with a great breeze. There were high school cheerleaders & dance teams cheering us on. There were bands playing to keep us moving. There were boy scouts handing out water. Everyone was great.

Two of my teamates ran & finished the 5K in just over 30 minutes. I walked behind a mob of thousands of people & finished much slower than I normally would have but I was enjoying the experience & the great company. Kaisara, Cat, Kathy, Randy, Casey & I finished in 1 hour & 8 minutes. Wow that's slow! But like I said, it was a great experience, with great company. I'll definately do this again next year! You all should join me! I've got a few pictures in my online albums up & am hoping to get more from other teamates & I'll add those later. Feel free to check them out.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Congrats on winner your first race. To me, winning means that you finished. It doesn't matter how long it took you, it matters that you made a commitment to yourself and you kept it. My hat is off to you!!

melissa said...

Way to go Team Galatians 6:10!

Glad everyone had fun for a good cause. Pictures look great.

Melanie said...

YEA! I'm so proud of you!