Sunday, June 24, 2007

I'm Not Made for Competitive Sports

It's true. I've no problem admitting it. I'm just not made for competition. I don't think I've got a competitive bone in my body. If you wanna play, sure, I'll play. I just don't care who wins. Let's just play for the sake of playing. I competed in horse shows in my younger days but that was more of a showing off frame of mind & doing the best I could rather than an "I'm better than you at this" mind set.

This has been drilled into me hard this weekend. Kaisara & I have two of our awesome nieces this weekend. Tiana & I took Kayla to her all-star practice yesterday & I watched the girls get yelled at for 3 1/2 hours. Today, while Tiana & Kaisara were at church I took Kayla to her tournament. I like watching them play but listening to the girls get yelled at for 7 hours really got to me. It's not even just the coaches yelling. Everyone's yelling! It's not even an "oh, I'm so excited this is a great game!" yelling. They're honest to goodness yelling. Get a grip people!

While at the final game I was reading a magazine. One of the ads said, in huge letters, something to the affect of, "An inspired child can do amazing things". Huh, never knew that yelling was a form of inspiration. I held it together long enough get to my bedroom & brake down for a moment. I'm better now & am inspired even more than I ever have been not to be a yeller (and that was already a major goal of mine).

3 comments:

Dani said...

GOOD FOR YOU KATE!!!!! YELLING IS OVERRATED!!! why can't we all just get along with our inside voices?

Cat said...

Living Vicariously Through Our Children for $1000 Alex?

The answer is...

Grow up and get a life and leave your poor kids alone!

I hope Abby and Alexander enjoy growing up instead of growing stressed!

Kat said...

Yelling never accomplished anything unless say a building was on fire!! It takes something like 10 atta boys to make up for one NO. Meaning that we, adults and children, listen to the negative and tend to block out the positive messages. Sad but true.

Image what kind of world we would live in if we all were supportive instead of critical.

The really sad part is that those parents and coaches think that they are being supportive.