Monday, January 08, 2007

Bring on the Freebies!

If the first week of the year is any indication, 2007 is gonna be a year full of theatre. Free theatre too!

I found out on the last Friday of 2006 that a friend of mine is now the graphic designer for OCPAC. Cool! I was so pleased that he got what I would think to be a great gig. When I told him we should go out to lunch sometime since I'm literally right across the street he asked me if I liked shows & would I ever be interested in his comps that he doesn't use. HELLO?!?!?! I laughed & of course said yes to both questions. Seven days later he calls & wants to know if I'm interested in seeing Pippin that night. Sure! All I know is that's it's a Broadway musical. That's it, but hey, it's free.

I took my mom & Lydia with me. I'm glad I went but I have mixed feelings about the show. Overall I guess I'd say I didn't like it. I could have DEFINITELY done without the dance-y orgy scene. It was five minutes that didn't add anything to the story & was just too seedy for me. The actor playing the title role was rather pitchy & not a very good dancer. (How do these people get these gigs?) I would have loved to see William Katt do the role which apparently he did many moons ago. On the other hand the Leading Player was, in a word...AMAZING! What a voice, what moves, what a fun character. His costume was amazing too. The role was originally played by Ben Vereen & I would LOVED to have seen that but given that was in 1972, alas, it would have been impossible. Pippin tells a story in the same fashion as Chicago. It glamorizes immoral behavior while telling you "this isn't how this should be". So the moral of Pippin's story (or what I got from it) is good it just leads you to that point by making some bad stuff look like the good. It's conflicting for me & I still haven't processed it all.

So today John, our prop master at work, came in to our shop to see if anyone wanted to see Cavalia tomorrow night. OH MY GRACIOUS!!! YES!! I said I wanted it & how much, can I bring you the money tomorrow. No, it's free. I'm SO excited! I can't wait. A friend of mine at Pageant saw it a few years ago & couldn't even talk about it without getting choked up, she thought it so wonderful. Did I mention I get to go for free! I don't even need to pay for parking. It's at Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre so Kaisara's gonna drop me off after work & pick me up after the show (he's rad).

No comments: