Saturday, January 06, 2007

Movies

I hadn't seen a movine since July when we saw Superman Returns. I really liked it & have seen it again since on DVD. It's very exciting, as I find most comic book movies. Of course it didn't hurt that Brandon Routh isn't hard to look at. I'm looking forward to more Superman movies.

After a six month hiatus of not seeing any movies I've now seen two within a couple weeks. The Nativity Story & Night at the Museum.








I really really liked The Nativity Story. I thought it was very well done & a beautiful movie to look at. I thought Keisha Castly-Hughes did a great job as Mary but I enjoyed Oscar Isaac's performance as Joseph even more. He always had just the right look in his eyes. I thought he was amazing. I was also relieved that the intense parts of the movie were very short. Herod's masacre of the young boys & Mary in the river after falling off of the donkey were very short. The scenes were there but didn't take a whole lot of screen time. Which was a pleasant suprise. I feel Hollywood often dwells too long at an intense moment forgetting that that scene is not what the movie is about. Well done.

More recently we saw Night at the Museum. A fun & entertaining movie. Not a work of art but I'm a firm believer that not all movies & theatre should try to be. Entertaining for the sake of entertaining is important to me. The movie was what Daryl called, "an easy paycheck for Ben Stiller" but that's o.k. It was a cute film & I'm glad I saw it. It was fun to see good ol' Mickey Rooney back at it. I have an afinity for him since falling in love with The Black Stallion, another beautiful movie to look at. The first half of the movie has hardly any dialog but tells a wonderful story. Mickey Rooney is great in it.

No comments: